0912 – Trades Maintenance Specialist
(Building Maintenance Specialist)
Starting Range: $18.73/hr
This position is located at the Ajo Way Maintenance Shop in the Pima County Facilities Management Department.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Leads, participates, or operates independently in providing journey-level maintenance, repair, diagnosis, trouble-shooting, construction, fabrication and preventive maintenance. Requires technical skills, experience and knowledge in area of specialization, as well as training, lead or supervisory skills and knowledge. Accountable for activities and ensures services or products comply with written procedures, engineering drawings, specifications, contracts, industry standards and statutory codes and requirements.
(Relevant education may substitute for up to one year of the aforementioned experience.) Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application. Preferred Qualifications: (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Completion of an industry-recognized apprenticeship program such as building maintenance, plumbing, HVAC or electrical and one year of journey-level experience in the same trade, craft or operational area of required expertise. (Relevant education may substitute for up to six months of the aforementioned experience.) OR:
- Five years of journey-level experience in building maintenance, plumbing, HVAC or electrical.
- (Relevant education may substitute for up to two and one half years of the aforementioned experience.) OR:
- Two years of experience with Pima County as a Trades Maintenance Technician such as building maintenance, plumbing, HVAC or electrical. Some positions may require additional specialized training and/or experience.
1. GENERAL BUILDING MAINTENANCE: Requires three (3) years of experience in general building maintenance:
- Repairing or replacing commercial / institutional-grade plumbing fixtures to include faucets, sinks, water closets, flushometers, urinals and waterless units.
- Evaporative cooling tower maintenance.
- Utilizing mechanical and power drain augers.
- Reading and interpreting rough drawings and mechanical blueprints.
- Participating in aggressive preventative maintenance programs.
2. HEATING VENTILATION AIR CONDITIONING (HVAC):
- Experience troubleshooting and repairing air handling equipment: bearings, shafts, fans, pulleys, dampers, belts, chilled and hot water coils.
- Experience performing filter changes, lubricate, inspect, and document HVAC and chilled water equipment.
- Experience calibrating or replacing pneumatic and low voltage thermostats.
- Experience servicing and repairing commercial lighting fixtures, light controls, switches, and receptacles.
- Experience troubleshooting electrical motors and motor control centers.
- Experience replacing a variety of electrical motors and associated components.
- Experience with lock out tag out compliance procedures and understand electrical schematics.
- Experience using and understanding voltage meter and amp probes.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
Licenses and Certificates: Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Services' review and approval of the candidate's driving record. Some positions require a valid Arizona commercial driver license (CDL) with appropriate endorsement(s) at the time of appointment, or prior to completion of an initial/promotional probation period. Positions requiring a CDL are also subject to applicable State of Arizona and federal standards, rules, and regulations on physical requirements including drug and alcohol testing. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination.
Special Notice Items: Ability to obtain jail pass and post offer physical is required.
The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County. Some positions carry the risk of exposure to infectious diseases, blood-born pathogens, asbestos or wastewater products, therefore special medical screening prior to or during employment may be necessary to assure employee health and safety.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Some positions require the ability to: lift and carry up to seventy-five pounds; safely operate assigned vehicles and other powered equipment; work in extremes of heat, humidity, dust, cold; safely wear required safety clothing/equipment; work with on in the presence of obnoxious odors; work with noxious or potentially hazardous chemicals, compounds or products; ascend and descend ladders and stairs to reach and work upon elevated or below-grade work platforms and job sites; differentiate between colors.
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled.
When applying to this position, please note the Job Number is 2019-01020.
About this company
The Human Resources Department partners with clients to recruit and retain a highly committed, highly competent, and results-oriented workforce by leading Pima County in the acquisition, maintenance, development and measurement of its human assets and by providing various employment-related services and activities. Services include: Recruitment and Selection, Classification and Compensation, E-Verify®, Personnel Records, Employment Rights, ADA Administration, FMLA Administration, Employee Benefits and Wellness, Management Training, Performance Management, HIPAA / Privacy Practices and Federal, State and local labor reporting.
Location/Region: Tucson, AZ